Thursday, September 2, 2010

Growing up...

We had a big event at our house yesterday, Shaelyn lost her 1st tooth! After just a few days of being very wiggly it fell out while she was eating a donut! She was very excited! Now each time she smiles the fact that she is growing up is confirmed! She mentioned that she probably looks more like a 6 year old now instead of a 5 year old! I guess she's officially ready to be a kindergartner! 

I don't think I've ever written about Shaelyn's teeth, but she has a lot of issues with them. The poor girl has already spent hours and hours sitting in a Dentists chair. She has a hereditary condition where her baby teeth are rapidly decaying. She has already had many fillings and 3 of her teeth have been completely capped (hence the silver teeth you may notice in some pics :)). She has been amazing about it and has handled all her appointments way better than I ever imagined she would. It makes me sad to have her go through all of that, but it always puts things in perspective for me and makes me grateful for our overall health! 

On a lighter note, yesterday after she lost her tooth we had several conversations about the tooth fairy. I never know what way to go on these topics. Part of it just seems so wrong to me, purposefully lying about something to her, but the childhood joy part of it is fun. So, basically when she would ask me a question I'd just turn it around and have her answer it. She in the ended decided that the tooth fairy "might" be real. She wrote a note to her asking her to please leave her tooth, since it was the first one she lost. She was pretty excited to fine $ and her tooth in the morning! She also wondered if someday when she loose her silver tooth if it will be worth more money- "since they are so beautiful." :)

Before...
After...





2 comments:

  1. wow, first tooth! very exciting. she looks so proud. yeah, the whole easter bunny, tooth fairy, santa claus thing is hard. i will deal with that this year with pete understanding so much now. gotta get prepared! Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see her eyes I just want to stare. SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete